It’s hard to feel confident in your smile when you have damaged or missing teeth. But dental crowns can prevent further tooth decay by protecting the entire tooth. They will make your smile whole and beautiful again!
What Is a Dental Crown?
A dental crown is a false tooth that is placed over and covers your existing tooth. They have many uses and benefits, and are made to resemble your surrounding teeth in size, shape, and color.
Benefits of Dental Crowns
- A cover for chips, cracks, gaps, or discoloration: Besides color-correcting and cracks or blemishes, crowns can also protect against long-term damage and weathering from teeth grinding.
- A like-real look: Crowns are designed to look just like natural, healthy teeth, and customized to match your specific teeth in shape and color.
- Protection for both the damaged tooth and surrounding teeth: Crowns can help issues like cracks or wear from spreading and affecting your other teeth.
- Longevity: If carefully maintained, dental crowns can last between 10-30 years.
- The durability and comfort of a natural tooth: Crowns feel just like a regular tooth, and have the durability of one so you can be free to eat all your favorite foods without worry.
- Reinforcement: Since dental crowns are made to fit your tooth up to the gumline, they can help keep weak or wobbly teeth securely in place. They are also used to reinforce dental bridges.
Traditional crowns are usually made of gold, metal, or porcelain. Getting a traditional crown is usually a two-visit operation that can take between 2-3 weeks. During the initial visit to our office, we’ll prepare your tooth by filing it down so as to be sure the crown will fit. Then we’ll make an impression of the damaged tooth using a plaster or digital scanning.
Since your crown won’t be available immediately, you’ll get a temporary filling that will cover your tooth in the meantime and protect it from further harm. Your crown is then made in our lab. At your next appointment, the temporary filling will be removed and the crown will be applied.
Same Day Crowns
We’re proud to be one of the few practices with the training and equipment to offer same-day crowns! Our 3D intraoral scanner will take pictures of your teeth, so there’s no need for a plaster impression. Once your teeth have been measured, our on-site lab uses advanced computer technology and modeling software to create your customized porcelain crown. All this happens in-house within the span of one visit, so there’s no need for temporary fillings. You can relax in our waiting room while your crown is prepared
Is a Dental Crown Right For You?
We at Alatorre Dental want you to be proud of your smile. Visit our office or give us a call and we’ll help you determine whether a traditional or same-day crown can meet your needs!